AMERICAS NUMBER 1
BUYER OF DAMAGED
AND NON-RUNNING CARS
AMERICAS NUMBER 1
BUYER OF DAMAGED
AND NON-RUNNING CARS
Interesting Car Recycling Facts that You Should Know
Sell The Car USA blog

Even in an industry as transparent and straightforward as car recycling, an abundance of myths and falsified hearsay still exists. These untruths can result in consumers putting the brakes on when deciding where’s best to sell a non-running car.

What’s the best solution to cracking common car recycling myths? Cold, hard statistics. If you’ve a battered old jalopy stationary, rusting on your driveway or wish to rid yourself of a vehicle with zero or negligible resale value, using the services of a business like Sell The Car USA is often your best option.

So, before you decide what to do, let’s look at some enlightening statistics that may just veer you towards selling a catastrophically damaged car to a reputable car recycling scrapyard.

The Industry

The car recycling industry is the 16th largest in the United States – contributing $25 billion to the national GDP. This puts it ahead of corporate management, education services and agriculture. Employing around 100,000 people and with more than 7,000 vehicle recycling facilities across the country, it’s impact on the economy cannot be overstated.

Energy Saving

Simply put, automobiles are the most recycled consumer product in the US. Not only that, recycling scrap metal has a slew of benefits that Americans may just have your jaw hitting the floor!

Don’t believe us? According to research conducted by the US Environmental Protection Agency, when you sell a damaged car you are directly contributing to environmental preservation. Using recycled metal in place of virgin ore can yield the following:

  • 75% in energy savings
  • 90% saving in raw materials
  • 86% saving in air pollution

Every tonne of new steel made from scrap saves:

  • 1,115 kg of iron ore
  • 625 kg of coal
  • 53 kg of limestone

Additional energy savings from other metals includes:

  • 95% aluminium energy saving
  • 85% copper saving
  • 65% lead saving

The Sheer Vehicle Volume

Believe it or not, about 80% of a vehicle is recyclable (if you calculate it as a percentage of the weight.) The remaining 20% which cannot be recycled is designated as Auto Shredder Residue (ASR).

Typically, this consists of ferrous and non-ferrous metal pieces, dirt, glass, fabric, paper, wood, rubber and plastic. Every year more 5 million tonnes of ASR is deposited in landfills. If you need further evidence that when you sell a non-running car to a business like Sell The Car USA that you’re doing your part for the environment – this is it!

US Blast Furnaces and Smelters

The automotive recycling industry also has a significant impact on how blast furnaces and smelters operate. According to accepted statistics, approximately 37% of all the ferrous metals used in blast furnaces and smelters across the USA is directly sourced from the car recycling industry.

Number of Cars Recycled Each Year

The sheer number of cars that are recycled in the USA each year is almost a statistic to make anyone sit up and take notice. The USA recycles more cars than any other country in the world. With some 12 million cars recycled every single year, it’s no surprise that the car recycling industry is one of the most prominent in the US.

Tonnes and Tonnes of Steel

Did you know that more than 14 million tonnes of recycled steel is sourced from junk vehicles? Now, that’s a quantity that’s hard to ignore! On average, 25% of the bodywork on a new car is composed of recycled steel. When you sell a damaged car for scrap metal, you could be helping someone else get on the road!

So, there you have it. Scrap metal statistics that are sure to, not only pique but, grab anyone’s attention. Looking for the easiest way to dispose of an old jalopy? Contact Sell The Car USA today!